Saturday, December 26, 2009

How Divorce Stole Christmas

Christmas Eve was less exciting. Christmas morning less cheery. Waking up was a chore, and opening presents didn't go by quick enough. Pictures were annoying, and I was only interested in crawling back to bed. (That, and Christmas dinner.)

Christmas just isn't what it used to be,
holidays in general just aren't the same.
Every year I get less interested in any day that's dedicated to family
and I can't help but point fingers at who I feel is to blame.

I feel the act of marriage is far too easy; it should be more complicated to do. A much longer process too. You should have to jump through hoop after hoop; actually prove your genuine, honest love for someone before being able to marry them. You should be forced through hardships, and withstand actual struggle with a person before saying "I do." There should be more to it than a simple ceremony.

I'd like to say that divorce should be more complicated as well, but from what I've been told, it isn't exactly easy. (Take note that if this were actually true, divorce wouldn't be such a common thing.) But what do I know?

I know that marriage is too easy, and doesn't mean enough. I know that divorce is too common. I know that families should be harder to break and children less susceptible to pain.

They say things change... but they don't. People change, and I know this, but two people who undoubtedly love each other should be able to change and evolve together without giving up. Divorce shouldn't be such an easy way out; then maybe people would be less-likely to take it. Families would be less broken, children would be less hurt and Christmas, well Christmas would be a lot more cheerful.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. A good case study would be Indian marriages. Divorces hardly ever happen in India. I really liked that rhyme in the middle. Did you make that up? Kudos to you if so!

    Cheers

    Hyaatus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did make up the rhyme. If I ever post something that's not written by me I'll write where it came from :)

    ReplyDelete